[ExI] See the Internet of the future in 2046

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 13:28:25 UTC 2021

“Wayforward Machine” provides a glimpse into the future of the web
"Imagine a future without access to knowledge..."
Ax Sharma - Oct 1, 2021

<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/10/internet-archive-has-a-dystopian-wayforward-machine-from-2046/>

Quote:
The Wayback Machine from the nonprofit Internet Archive remains
massively popular among netizens, journalists, and archivists
interested in seeing how a webpage looked in the past, even when the
page or entire websites are later removed.

This week's Internet Archive has come up with a "Wayforward Machine"
doing the opposite. Those visiting the Wayback Machine are now greeted
with the following banner that claims to take you 25 years into the
future.

"On the 25th anniversary of the Internet Archive, we’re looking
forward to the year 2046. Will we have access to trustworthy
information online? Will knowledge be free and open?" states the
nonprofit.

The article also has a short 30 second video of what the future web
might look like.
You will only be allowed to see what Google and Facebook permit.
Dystopia approaches!

BillK