[ExI] from quora - laugh of the day

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:37:02 UTC 2021

On Oct 14, 2021, at 8:53 AM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> re possession:  I am thinking of all the pop songs going back to the 1980s which feature lyrics like 'my baby', denoting women.  As far as I know not even the feminists have made a big deal about that, even though it contains two slurs.  I would not put up with it.    bill w

I don’t think ‘my baby’ has the same connotation as ‘your woman,’ especially since the former is commonly used to refer to other genders, no? It doesn’t have the same connection with a particular gender being subordinated to another.

That said, feminists have pointed out that many popular songs often do depict women purely as sex objects, as targets for ‘justified’ violence, and with misogyny.

Regards,

Dan