[ExI] IQ and mental health

Nuala Thomson nuala.t at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 02:34:47 UTC 2021

I don't know how to quote text sorry.
First thing to remember as BPD is that any emotion I feel is double or more
than what "normal" people feel. So when I'm angry about something it's
usually rage. So foremost all my attention and focus is on controlling
impulses. Do not scream, do not throw anything, do not hurt anyone in any
way.
Then for the first day or so sitting in the emotion because it's a familiar
discomfort.
Then I start the process of logic. What am I *really* angry about? Did my
reaction fit the facts? Was this reaction amplified because I haven't been
looking after myself? Was I actually reacting to something else?
Then the process for moving forward starts with self care basics, changing
my body chemistry, and if I need to talk to the person about something I
write out my speech as factually as possible with no attacks, possibly with
an apology if I owe one, and schedule a meeting. But then I sit in the pain
until the meeting occurs. Yes, I schedule meetings with loved ones
regarding a topic so they can also prepare anything they might want to say.
It's quite similar for happiness as well though. So something that might
make a person smirk will put me in uncontrollable joy.
BPD is very akin to bipolar except my fluctuations are not over days or
weeks but can be just about instantaneous. It is draining.
But yes most of my energy goes to impulse control which is why it takes
longer.
I also don't know how long it takes other people and what other people do
to move past it.
Would you care to share your way?

On Sun., Aug. 29, 2021, 01:29 William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat, <