[ExI] quote of the day

Gabe Waggoner lostmyelectron at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 6 15:53:31 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, September 6th, 2021 at 3:38 PM, ddraig--- via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 13:44, Gabe Waggoner <lostmyelectron at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And after the missiles turn into the bowl of petunias and the sperm whale: "With horror, they suddenly realized that it was fresh whalemeat."
>> And when the alien battle fleet was, due to a terrible miscalculation of scale, accidentally swallowed by a small dog. (I still remember playing the Infocom text-based interactive game on my Apple IIe in the 1980s and cackling when one of my entries triggered the "It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives . . ." line.)
>
> Did you get the microscopic space fleet in a tiny clear plastic bag? And the peril-sensitive sunglasses that were bits of cardboard? Did you read through all of the footnotes?
> "oh no, not this again"
>
> dwayne
> --
> ddraig at pobox.com ddraigbot / NSO / Connery
> ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...
> http://fav.me/dqkgpdhttp://tinyurl.com/he-is-right-you-know-jpg
> our aim is wakefulness, our enemy is dreamless sleep

Ha! Indeed, I did. I loved those little nuggets of nerdy goodness. I edit a lot of science reports with footnotes, and occasionally an author will slip in a joke about how nobody ever reads them. That always reminds me of sitting there and typing "footnote 1", "footnote 2", and so on, at the prompt one day when I couldn't figure out how to get the damned babel fish to go where I wanted it to. And seeing "Isn't it fun reading through all the footnotes?" made my day.

Dwayne, my hat goes off to you, sir.

Best wishes,
Gabe

--