[ExI] quote of the day

ddraig@pobox.com ddraig at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:02:46 UTC 2021

On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 01:53, Gabe Waggoner <lostmyelectron at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Ha! Indeed, I did. I loved those little nuggets of nerdy goodness. I edit
> a lot of science reports with footnotes, and occasionally an author will
> slip in a joke about how nobody ever reads them.

Yeah, I love that sort of thing.  You feel an instant connection.

> That always reminds me of sitting there and typing "footnote 1", "footnote
> 2", and so on, at the prompt one day when I couldn't figure out how to get
> the damned babel fish to go where I wanted it to. And seeing "Isn't it fun
> reading through all the footnotes?" made my day.

I did something, I forgot what, and it said footnote 1, so I typed that.
Ahah. Then later, footnote 2, so I typed that. Then I thought, huh, I
wonder what the other footnotes do. Footnote 3, footnote 4, footnote 5, I'm
pretty sure footnote 6 was "isn't it fun reading through the footnotes?"  I
stopped, frozen, like I was raiding the fridge in the middle of the night
and someone just turned the kitchen light on (have done this to one of my
housemates). It was a classic you are BUSTED moment.  I loved it.

Very funny, very brilliant man. Terrible shame he died so young

Dwayne
--
  ddraig at pobox.com              ddraigbot / NSO / Connery
         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...