[ExI] Google AI low-resolution photo enhancement

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Wed Sep 8 17:43:40 UTC 2021

> Google's Incredible New Photo AI Makes 'Zoom And Enhance' a Real Thing

I read of a case where degraded DNA was found at a crime scene,
analogous to a partial fingerprint.  Prosecution told the jury
(accurately) of the long odds against a random match even to this
partial information.  What the jury did not hear: the defendant was
fingered by matching the partial DNA to *everyone* in the California DNA
database, and the chance of a hit in that search was one in three.

I do not remember (maybe the article didn't say) what happened on
appeal.  But I see an analogous danger here.  It's one more way for
police to do what they do best: find someone, anyone, who fits the
limited information they have, and interpret any new information to
serve the frame.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org