[ExI] Qualia are not in the matrix (was Re: The Matrix: Resurrections trailer)

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 02:57:19 UTC 2021

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 7:12 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> It is shown that each human plugged into the Matrix has a series of
> physical plugs, through which stimuli are fed in.

Yes, obviously. the final result of that process being knowledge, composed
of redness and greenness, in the brain, in all those vats.

  They experience simulated redness and greenness - which may well not be
> the same as actual redness and greenness,

Yay,  you may well not be qualia blind.  You are almost distinguishing
between red (the property of something which reflects a particular
wavelength of light)  and redness (an intrinsic quality of your knowledge
of red things.)

> but they have no way to know if they have never been awake outside of the
> Matrix.

Not true.  Your left hemisphere knows absolutely, through computational
binding achieved via the corpus callosum, not only that it is not the only
hemisphere in existence, it also knows, absolutely, that the redness in
that other hemisphere is the same as it's redness.  If the optic nerve
red/green inverted knowledge in only the left hemisphere, or if you just
used a neural ponytail to bind with someone that was red green inverted,
the right hemisphere would know that, absolutely, of that red/green qualia
inversion.

Neural ponytails that can enable the same kind of direct apprehension of
intrinsic qualities outside of our skull, will absolutely falsify skeptical
theories like solipsism, and crazy theories like: 'We are a brain in a vat.

To better understand this, jump to 10:30 minutes into the "Differentiating
between reality and knowledge of reality" chapter with this link
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/?chapter=differentiate_reality_knowledge&t=630>
.