[ExI] Qualia are not in the matrix (was Re: The Matrix: Resurrections trailer)

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 03:20:00 UTC 2021

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 12:59, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Hi Adrian,
>
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 7:12 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> It is shown that each human plugged into the Matrix has a series of
>> physical plugs, through which stimuli are fed in.
>>
> Yes, obviously. the final result of that process being knowledge, composed
> of redness and greenness, in the brain, in all those vats.
>
>   They experience simulated redness and greenness - which may well not be
>> the same as actual redness and greenness,
>>
> Yay,  you may well not be qualia blind.  You are almost distinguishing
> between red (the property of something which reflects a particular
> wavelength of light)  and redness (an intrinsic quality of your knowledge
> of red things.)
>

>> but they have no way to know if they have never been awake outside of the
>> Matrix.
>>
> Not true.  Your left hemisphere knows absolutely, through computational
> binding achieved via the corpus callosum, not only that it is not the only
> hemisphere in existence, it also knows, absolutely, that the redness in
> that other hemisphere is the same as it's redness.

No, your left hemisphere does not know this. It just knows what it is like
to have a redness experience when connected to the right hemisphere. It
cannot know what the right hemisphere would experience on its own.
Similarly, a patient with a cochlear implant knows what it is like to be a
brain-cochlear implant system. He does not know what it is like to be a
cochlear implant.

>   If the optic nerve red/green inverted knowledge in only the left
> hemisphere, or if you just used a neural ponytail to bind with someone that
> was red green inverted, the right hemisphere would know that, absolutely,
> of that red/green qualia inversion.
>
> Neural ponytails that can enable the same kind of direct apprehension of
> intrinsic qualities outside of our skull, will absolutely falsify skeptical
> theories like solipsism, and crazy theories like: 'We are a brain in a vat.
>
> To better understand this, jump to 10:30 minutes into the "Differentiating
> between reality and knowledge of reality" chapter with this link
> <https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/?chapter=differentiate_reality_knowledge&t=630>
> .

Stathis Papaioannou