[ExI] Homesteading away wildfires

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Sep 12 20:18:02 UTC 2021

As a former Californian and present Nevadan, I am getting sick of all
the wildfires that are burning in California and sending smoke into
Nevada. The unbelievable amounts of small particulate matter in the
smoke is directly harming my health and that of everybody else in the
region. Aside from mere health concerns, the wildfires are wasting the
lives of huge numbers of trees who have spent centuries growing and
fixing carbon only to have all that carbon released back into the
atmosphere to further exacerbate the climate change that is largely
responsible for the fires in the first place.

Some other major contributing factors to this problem include the huge
amount of dry underbrush and dead trees killed by the pine-borer
beetle. In short, the wildfire problem is preventable by such
techniques as clearing the dead wood and dry brush from the area and
clearing overgrown areas. Since almost all of the wildfires happen on
government-owned land, then it should be government's responsibility
to keep their land well-maintained and fire-resistant. The knowledge
and methods are already known. You could even coddle the spotted-owls,
if you wanted.

http://www.nwfirescience.org/sites/default/files/publications/A%20Land%20Managers%20Guide%20for%20Creating%20Fire-resistant%20Forests%20.pdf

Unfortunately it costs something like $3500 per acre to make forests
fire-resistant. So the federal government can't afford fire-scaping
for a sufficient area to prevent the state from catching fire every
year like clockwork and millions of acres to burn. I am not sure what
the state government of California is doing or trying to do about the
problem, but it certainly seems the state ought to take some
initiative in the face of an inactive federal government.

Unbelievably despite having all these millions of acres of public land
that the governments involved are declining to take responsibility
for, California nonetheless has a pretty big homeless problem. I mean
if people are defecating on sidewalks, maybe they are not hygienically
cut out for city life. So perhaps this is a rare example where two of
a state's problems can solve one another.

What I propose is that the government offer deed of property to any
citizen who firescapes and settles some claimed area of designated
wilderness land in accordance to environmental standards with the
payment of the first year of property taxes for that land.

So now, in exchange for doing some manual labor digging and hauling
wood formerly homeless people can now homestead and own several acres
of wilderness that they can then roam at will, develop as they see
fit, or live off the land, so long as they preserve the endangered
species there upon.

Thoughts?

Stuart LaForge