[ExI] Running up against energy limits

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 20:57:56 UTC 2021

On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 at 04:10, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> ...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Running up against energy limits
>
> >>... spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> >
> > ...… do you want to be armed to the teeth?  Or helpless as a lamb before
> the slaughter?
> >
> >>... I’ll taaaaake… guns for 500 please Alex.
> >
> >> spike
>

> >...If you are in Kabul and deciding to rebel against the Taliban,
> remember that they are now probably the best armed and equipped militia in
> the Middle East, thanks to the training and equipment provided by the USA.
> What? You mean you really thought the USA training Afghan soldiers meant
> that they wouldn't fight as Taliban soldiers? Many were already absconding
> and joining the Taliban while training was in progress. It was all a
> corrupt scam from the beginning, covered up from the US public.
>

> BillK

> BillK, that the US left behind all those munitions is unconscionable.  I
> cannot fathom why they did that.  Many lives will be lost because of it.
>
> Regarding the remaining Americans and allies stranded in Afghanistan, keep
> in mind there are plenty  who have the attitude of Live Free or Die.  Given
> the choice of iron fisted religious dictatorship or resistance, there are
> plenty of us who would take our chances.  I am one of them.  Most of us
> here would do poorly if a religious dictatorship were to be imposed upon
> us.  We wouldn't do well with being told: Pray this way or die.
>
> But it isn't as hopeless as it might seem.  Right after the bombing of
> Pearl Harbor, the Japanese temporarily had the upper hand.  They debated
> whether to invade the US west coast.  Admiral Yamamoto decided against it,
> doubting its success, even if the government ceded.  He is said to have
> made the legendary comment "There would be a rifle behind every blade of
> grass."
>
> If he said that, he got it right.
>
> What he was describing is asymmetric warfare.  An army must have some
> means of identification friend or foe.  The resistance does not.  They
> could identify an invading army, pick off the pious bastards from a safe
> distance, disappear into nowhere.
>
> Good chance the resistance fighters would eventually die.  But oh they
> could extract some major damage on their way out.  We have a popular saying
> over here in the colonies: Freedom ain't free.  It is bought and paid for
> by the blood of freedom fighters.
>
> Had the people of Kabul been armed to the teeth and every man, woman and
> child trained to pick off targets at a distance, the Taliban would not have
> been eager to invade the place.

But the citizens of Afghanistan have easier access to military weapons than
people probably do anywhere else on Earth, and fir many years.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/15/disneyland-for-gun-lovers-inside-the-notorious-darra-adam-khel-arms-market.html

--
Stathis Papaioannou