[ExI] New Bioscience Company Raises $15 Million to Revive Woolly Mammoth

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 18:12:51 UTC 2021

On 2021-9-17 07:10, BillK via extropy-chat wrote:
> This can produce odd-sounding results, especially if translating to a
> foreign language using a foreign dictionary with vocabulary that you
> are less familiar with, causing a native speaker to burst out
> laughing.

I've seen some odd ones in spam comments on my blog; some spambots use
synonyms to try to avoid matching known patterns, and they're not fussy
about which synonyms.

Mom relayed this anecdote:
Some Americans in Germany wanted to bake an apple pie.
Their cookbook recommended using tart apples.
So they looked up 'tart' in their English-German dictionary.
The grocer was bewildered.

Another kind of pitfall:
Thirty years ago I was a book-herald in the SCA.
Someone wanted to register a household with 'Amer' in its name,
explaining that that is Russian for 'Honor'.  Some heralds knew enough
Russian to think that ain't right.  We found a dictionary that said
	HONOR: amer[ikanski] = HONOUR

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org