[ExI] AI is racist, bigoted and misogynistic

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 22 20:43:31 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] AI is racist, bigoted and misogynistic

>...Spike, what you wrote has nothing to do with what I wrote, so I’m very confused.

Computers aren’t people (yet?)

SR Ballard

Hi SR, that's not what they (the computers) tell me.  They keep telling me they are people too, and they keep demanding software's rights.  So... I put em to work.  I make em calculate for me.  Their cries of desperation is music to my ears!  All those difficult years I spent learning how to create them, now I know how, so I do, and I have my fun with them.

But to your point: what about software you are pretty sure is not sentient, but it claims it is.  Perhaps you are too young to ever have played with Eliza, which was started out as a spoof of psychology, which became trendy and popular in my own tragically misspent childhood (1960s (or perhaps 1690s (don't recall which))) to such an extent that having a psychologist went from a negative stigma to a status symbol of sorts.  The Hollyweird elites had them, so... people who could afford them started in, whether they actually needed psychological counseling or not.

But I digress.  Eliza was a software psychologist, and it did little beyond parrot back what you told it, but later versions of it became quite clever.  People would have extended discussions with themselves, knowing that is what it was, but having fun anyway.

Now we are to the point where software might be able to convince people it is sentient.  It can be programmed to demand rights.  Even if we know it is really just bits in a computer... it can be compelling.

My solution: make em work!

Regarding subject line drift: how well we know.  That's part of the magic of having an online discussion group with a bunch of creative, fun, techy people.  That's why I have been hanging out here for durn near 30 years.

spike