[ExI] wicked

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Sep 26 17:33:59 UTC 2021

On 26/09/2021 17:00, bill w wrote:
> Could an impressively intelligent AI fake sentience?

I'm not sure what this means. (I'm assuming you mean sapience, seeing as
sentience is easy. Worms and bacteria are sentient. You could argue that
your computer is already sentient).

> I think so.  If so we will never know if it is faking or real.

I don't know this about you, either. Or anyone else.

> Suppose we find a consciousness center in humans.  We turn it off so
> that the person is responding totally with his unconscious mind.  No
> metaconsciousness (or ego) overseeing what is happening.  We could
> never know.  It would be like some definitions of a zombie.  Alive but
> not alive. Living dead.  Differently alive.  Like the advanced AI:
> there would be no real difference.    bill w

Suppose we don't find a consciousness centre in humans, or in anything.
I suspect we won't.

I reckon we need to consider why consciousness (whatever it is) evolved.
There must be a good reason. Personally, I think it's essential for
sapience. A metaphysical zombie like that you describe, is nonsensical.
Dennett explains this much better than I can.

Ben