[ExI] Hazards near your home

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:13:41 UTC 2021

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 16:11, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Hi BillK,
>
> The list of risks includes nuclear reactors.  Currently about 9% of
> California's power is nuclear, but the Diablo Canyon reactor is approaching
> retirement, which will mean that 9% hasta come from somewhere, perhaps
> imported from coal powered plants.  We have had rolling blackouts, which
> have a negative impact on air quality, as Diesel generators must be fired up
> and the natural gas peaker plants have their heyday.  People will have
> electric power, regardless.  I have a gasoline powered generator, which can
> carry the load for everything except HVAC.
>
> Nuke plants may be hazardous and create radioactive waste, but at least they
> are clean and safe for the environment.
>
> spike

Nuclear plants seem to have become too expensive to build. The one the
UK is trying to build is way over budget and time schedule.

Home Battery Packs seem to be selling well these days. Often linked to
solar panels for charging.

Power cuts are one of the ways that the world is telling us that the
old lifestyle can no longer be supported. Too many people now. We have
to do things differently if we want to avoid much more unpleasantness.

BillK