[ExI] Hazards near your home

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 13:11:56 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:19 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

> I don't necessarily think nuclear reactors should be privately owned.
> Terrorism, and other risks suggest that nuclear power-plants should be
> built and run and by the DoD and DoE.

DoD and DoE? Joint ownership? DoE already oversees reactors.

The government could do a lot to promote new reactors along the lines of
greasing the regulatory skids, but there's a lot of irrational fear
associated with nuclear power and nobody in DC has the balls to try to
change that.

I think DoE screwed up when they stopped researching thorium-based reactors.

Given the widespread failures of our government, I'm not at all
comfortable with the idea of them militarizing nuclear power production.

Say it is for national security
> (it is),screw the permits, and build them on military bases. Clear out
> some of that tinder on Federal land in California that catches fire
> every year, and use the land to build military forts with nuclear
> power-plants in them. Use them to power surrounding cities, and maybe
> sell power cheap to the power companies almost like the Fed does money
> to banks.

Cooling water might be scarce in most of those areas.

-Dave