[ExI] Hazards near your home

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 30 13:33:42 UTC 2021

….> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] Hazards near your home

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:19 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

I don't necessarily think nuclear reactors should be privately owned.
Terrorism, and other risks suggest that nuclear power-plants should be
built and run and by the DoD and DoE.

>…DoD and DoE? Joint ownership? DoE already oversees reactors…

Ja, their reactors are for producing plutonium for nuclear bombs.  The energy they produce is a side product, which they do sell and it does compete with legitimate power-generation.  So that one is a special case.  It was originally set up to make weapons.

That is an idea: run breeder reactors only and sell the plutonium to whoever you hope doesn’t use it on you.

Japan is going bigtime on thorium reactors I hear.  If they can get them to work, we can buy theirs.  If we can afford them.

>…Cooling water might be scarce in most of those areas.  -Dave

One can envision nuclear reactors along the coasts, with sea water used for cooling and some fresh water recovery from the vaporized cooling water.  Currently that method isn’t economical, because sea water, especially hot concentrated sea water, is very corrosive.  But it can be done.  A nuclear plant is the materials scientist’s playground.