[ExI] Crazy electric scooter racing

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 30 18:47:05 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 11:09 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Crazy electric scooter racing

>…  I was asked if using the web was a sign of intellectual laziness.  I answered his question with my question:  what else would you do when you need to do research?  He responded that he didn't know - go to a library he supposed…

People who think any serious research happens at the library have been asleep for the past 20 years.  Nearly everything in the library, all the information is (in some degree) outdated by the time ink hits paper.  But that in itself isn’t necessarily a problem because you can’t find that outdated information anyway.  Paper books cannot be effectively word-searched.

Our local library has evolved into a defacto homeless shelter.  It was already going that route with the top floor of the parking structure, but when covid came along, they closed the library and the homeless took the whole structure.  They can’t really move them out because there is nowhere to move them to.  But that isn’t really a big problem either, because not many people go there in a car anymore, so the parking structure isn’t really needed.

>.. - the greatest invention in the history of intellectual pursuit of knowledge…

Oh understatement.  It is great for intellectual pursuit of knowledge, but it is even better for pursuit of whatever else you want.  Such a gift is the internet.

>…Your scheme for renaming billions etc. just makes it harder for the common person…

That’s why we hire smart people to do most of the thinking.

>… We patricians rule!

bill w

I tried to become a patrician but my MCAT scores were too low.  Woulda had to go train in Missouri, forget it.  Couldn’t master the language fast enough.