[ExI] addiction

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 6 21:27:30 UTC 2022

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 6 April, 2022 2:03 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: RE: [ExI] addiction

…> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat

>…I do love my coffee, hot and black, nothing in it, just the pure rich substance which permeates the senses, awakens the enthusiasm for life, in a kind of a psychological bond of some sort.  Coffee just tastes like morning to me, it smells like victory.   spike

A play by Thornton Wilder, Our Town, was one which resonated with me many years ago when I read it as part of a school assignment.  The character Emily had perished, but some years later was given a vision or out-of-grave experience to visit her town.  She is astonished at how she now sees life, every day a gift, filled with ordinary things, all of them as miraculous as her post-life vision.  Eventually she is overcome with grief for having appreciated so little in her brief mortal existence.  In the last scene Emily opines:

“…I didn’t realize.  So all that was going on and we never noticed.  Take me back… up the hill… to my grave.  But first, WAIT!  One more look.

“Good-bye, good bye world.  Good-bye Grovers Corners… Mama and Papa.  Good bye to clocks ticking… and Mama’s sunflowers.  And food and coffee… And new-ironed dresses and hot baths… and sleeping and waking up.  Oh earth, you’re too wonderful for anybody to realize you.

Emily turns to the stage manager: “Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?  Every every minute?”

Stage manager: No.  The saints and poets maybe.  They do some…