[ExI] addiction

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 02:09:29 UTC 2022

Are you suggesting that willpower isn't a neurological phenomenon?  I don't
even know how to address something so inane besides throwing some papers at
you
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0258884
https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780190267278.001.0001/acprof-9780190267278-chapter-18
https://scholar.harvard.edu/kreimanlab/publications/neural-correlates-consciousness-perception-and-volition

In short--yes, obviously, volition happens in the brain.  Willpower is the
ability to make yourself do something.  That even is manifest in the tissue
of the brain itself.  Yes, it can be measured, though we may not completely
agree on how, or have the right tools to do it perfectly yet.  But it is
clearly a neurophysical phenomenon.  To believe anything else is some weird
anti-scientific boomer bullshit, to speak frankly.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 6:55 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <