[ExI] addiction

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 22:20:18 UTC 2022

Here's the idea:  for the purpose of doing studies, we have to have
measurements, very preferably in numbers of some sort, that we can do again
and again and get very similar results.  In psychology this is difficult.

That calls for operational definitions:  the concept is defined by the
measurements used.  That enables us to say intelligence is the score on the
STanford/Binet test, which sounds silly to most people.

But that is exactly what we are looking for.  We are not trying to tell
what the concept is.  That usually calls for words that themselves need
defining, like what I wrote in response to Dave.  Synonyms just won't
work.  'Willpower means not quitting.'  OK, now - just what does that
mean?  We now have to define 'not quitting'.  No good.

>From Google:  ' *the operational definition of anxiety could be in terms of
a test score, withdrawal from a situation, or activation of the sympathetic
nervous system*.

All of those are behaviors that we can easily measure and agree upon.  bill

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 4:48 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <