[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 223, Issue 16

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:20:39 UTC 2022

Here we go again with definitions.  An abstract concept only exists as we
define it.

Suppose I have an approach-avoidance conflict. I am stuck in the middle and
can't make up my mind.  Trying to get rid of an addiction can be thought of
like this.  In the brain there may be opposing excitatory and inhibitory
forces that are equal.  Now I see something on tv or read in a book that
adds one iota to the approach side, making doing it more attractive, and so
I do the thing, whatever it is.  I have trouble calling this willpower.  It
may look like this to others.

Now consider all traits as being in a huge set.  We pick out certain ones
and call the total willpower (or just about anything).  Someone else comes
along and picks out a slightly different set and calls that willpower.  The
two argue:  one says that's more like persistence than willpower and the
other disagrees.  Who is right?  Neither.  Both.  One of them.  Depending
on use of the word.  Look at all the flap over the years about what to call
intelligence.  Is it unitary?  Multifaceted?  Depends on who is picking out
the parts from the total set.

Being forced to eat beets is a different force than what holds the Moon up
there.  Pretty sure about that.

Mind over matter is dualism and makes utterly no sense to me.  bill w

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 12:37 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <