[ExI] Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 05:54:39 UTC 2022

I recently posted this question recently to the everything list
<https://groups.google.com/g/everything-list/c/Ga8KWzjM_dk>, but I know
many here are also deeply interested in the topic of consciousness so, I
thought I should post it to this group too. My question was:

These "artificial life" forms, (seen here
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq_mdJjNRPT11IF4NFyLcIWJ1C0Z3hTAX>),
have neural networks that evolved through natural selection, can adapt to a
changing environment, and can learn to distinguish between "food" and
"poison" in their environment.

If simple creatures like worms or insects are conscious, (because they have
brains, and evolved), then wouldn't these artificial life forms be
conscious for the same reasons?

Why or why not?

Jason