[ExI] tesla scavenging

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Apr 24 14:58:21 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] tesla scavenging

On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 at 06:43, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> …  So if someone took the storage cells outta the wrecked tesla and sold them for stuff like RVs, or for hobbyists to create a home-brew power wall for instance, wouldn’t that be cool?
>
> spike

>...Try some searching, like, 'repurposing tesla batteries'.

Searching, bah.  Humbug.  That's the big problem BillK, other proles think of fun ideas before I do.  Taint fair, I tells ya.

>...Tesla claims that it can recycle internally 100% of used Tesla car batteries...

It would be a fun project to instrument the batteries, rig up an Arduino or something, see what kind of duty cycle you can achieve.  I can think of a number of fun contests: take modules out of the same wrecked Muskmobile, distribute them among competitors, play a game where they instrument the current in and out, the voltage across, the prole who transfers the most total energy in 20 days wins.

We could set up a contest for maximum energy stored 20 days after the last charge input.

I can think of a lot of games and contests we could do with these.

>...(And warns against tinkering with lithium car batteries unless you
*really* know what you are doing).  :)

We ja, but how does one get to the point where she knows what she is doing?  It could be set up outdoors which would make our games far more forgiving.  Backyard rope swing, doghouse, cat house, tesla house...

>...There are also businesses starting to dismantle Tesla batteries (not an easy task!) and repurposing them for sale...

Cool thx.  So... why are they difficult to dismantle?  Did you mean difficult to access and remove after unsuccessful flight and collision with internal-combustion propelled devices?

>...with all the additional electronics that are needed.  BillK

Eh BillK, I don't want to buy theirs, I want to rig up my own.  In violation of Elon's wishes, I don't know what I am doing, but I have a back yard and electronics skills, I have an Arduino, plus plenty of wire.  All I don't have is a wrecked Tesla.  But I note how many locals are whirring about in these things, I figure it is only a matter of time.