[ExI] Fwd: Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:43:10 UTC 2022

Hi Jason,
Yes, Stathis and I have gone over these same arguments, in a gazillion
different ways, for years, still unable to convince the other.  I agree
with most everything you say, but it is all entirely missing the point.

I think you get to the core of the issue with your:
"First, I would like you to deeply consider for a moment the question 'What
is matter?'"

The issue is with one of these assumptions:
"1. Given the Church-Turing Thesis, any finitely describable process can be
perfectly replicated by an appropriately programmed Turing Machine"

The isus is that any description of redness (our claim that something is
redness) tells you nothing of the nature of redness, without a dictionary
pointing to an example of redness.
This is true for the same reason you can't communicate to a blind person
what redness is like, no matter how many words you use.

Stathis always makes this same claim:

"It is true that functionalism cannot be falsified. But not being
falsifiable is a property of every true theory."

no matter how many times I point out that if that is true, no matter what
you say redness is, it can't be that, either, because you can use the same
zombie or neural substitution argument and claim it can't be that either.
All you prove is that qualia aren't possible.  And since we know,
absolutely, It is a physical fact that I can experience redness, this just
proves your assumptions (about the nature of matter) are incorrect.  To say
nothing about all the other so-called 'hard problems' that emerge with that
set of assumptions.

We can abstractly describe and predict how matter "whatever it is" will
behave.  But when it comes to intrinsic colorness qualities or qualia, like
redness and greenness, you've got to point to some physical example of
something that has that redness quality.  And without that, there is no
possible way to define the word "redness", let alone experience redness.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 12:04 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <