[ExI] I salute Elon Musk, Captain of Spaceship Earth!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:02:59 UTC 2022

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 at 17:08, spike jones via extropy-chat

<snip>

> OK so… we have people who are opposed to Musk buying Twitter in order to free speech, but not wanting to appear to oppose free speech.  No matter how skilled the commentator, defending that position is just a very difficult task.  It’s harder than being the defense attorney for Charles Manson.  I haven’t yet seen anyone do it effectively.  Anyone seen a reasonable argument for why Musk owning Twitter is really a bad thing?  Do share please.  They all come across as saying “I am OK with unaccountable power so long as I am the one wielding it.”
>
> spike

The EU has just warned Elon that 'Free speech' doesn't mean
'Everything is allowed'.

<https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/eu-regulator-preemptively-warns-musk-on-free-speech-twitter-there-are-rules>

Quotes:
A top European Union regulator warned billionaire Elon Musk on Tuesday
that Twitter will have to comply with the EU's digital rules under his
ownership, complicating Musk's ambitious free speech agenda.

“Anyone who wants to benefit from this market will have to fulfill our
rules. The board [of Twitter] will have to make sure that if it
operates in Europe, it will have to fulfill the obligations, including
moderation, open algorithms, freedom of speech, transparency in rules,
obligations to comply with our own rules for hate speech, revenge
porn, [and] harassment,” Breton said.

“If [Twitter] does not comply with our law, there are sanctions: 6% of
the revenue and, if they continue, banned from operating in Europe,”
Breton said.

So Elon may have to hire thousands of moderators to clean up Twitter.
And then pay them sick pay while they recover from the PTSD acquired
from the trauma of what they have to deal with.

BillK