[ExI] I salute Elon Musk, Captain of Spaceship Earth!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Apr 26 19:22:11 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

The EU has just warned Elon that 'Free speech' doesn't mean 'Everything is allowed'.

<https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/eu-regulator-preemptively-warns-musk-on-free-speech-twitter-there-are-rules>

Quotes:
A top European Union regulator warned billionaire Elon Musk on Tuesday that Twitter will have to comply with the EU's digital rules under his ownership, complicating Musk's ambitious free speech agenda.

“Anyone who wants to benefit from this market will have to fulfill our rules. The board [of Twitter] will have to make sure that if it operates in Europe, it will have to fulfill the obligations, including moderation, open algorithms, freedom of speech, transparency in rules, obligations to comply with our own rules for hate speech, revenge porn, [and] harassment,” Breton said.

“If [Twitter] does not comply with our law, there are sanctions: 6% of the revenue and, if they continue, banned from operating in Europe,”
Breton said.

So Elon may have to hire thousands of moderators to clean up Twitter.
And then pay them sick pay while they recover from the PTSD acquired from the trauma of what they have to deal with.

BillK

Heh, thanks BillK, a fun self-own from Mr. Breton.

Notice that Elon didn't say he intended to change the moderation algorithms.  He didn't say anything about turning them off.  He only said the moderation would be public domain.

OK then.  If Twitter was allowed to operate in Europe before, is there any reason to think it shouldn't be allowed to operate with all the same rules as before but with those rules public?  And if there are specific people who are blocked and those blocks are cancelled, does that put them in violation of Europe's speech rules?

Anyone?  Anyone?  Beuuuuullerrrrr...