[ExI] 27 psychedelics??

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 01:35:49 UTC 2022

Did I use the (fraught) term ‘narcotic’? No. I used ‘psychedelic.’ Typically, heroin is not classed as a psychedelic and no one seems to use heroin for a psychedelic experience to my knowledge.

To wit, Spike in a discussion of psychedelics listed a bunch of celebrity deaths which seemed to have nothing to do with psychedelics. In fact, they had mostly to do with heroin. Not that his short list tells us much beyond the impression the deaths made on him growing up. (Availability bias strikes again, no? I don’t know the data on celebrity deaths, but I bet alcohol and tobacco beats illegal drugs — though probably because they’re more readily available, cheaper, and don’t have the sane social stigma. Then again, psychedelics don’t seem to directly cause deaths (from overdose), so were they more widely to be had at a low price and decent quality and didn’t have social stigma, I’m not sure you’d see headlines about celebrities dying from LSD overdose. Heroin, maybe, but again, that’s not a psychedelic in my understanding.)

Regards,

Dan