[ExI] the best chili

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:13:51 UTC 2022

Having won three chili contests I can write with some authority.  What is
below is not the process I used to win, but it did make an excellent chili.

Assemble four recipes.  Make a table and enter for each ingredient the
amount of it for each pound of meat.  Then average each row or column,
yielding data like:  1.5 onions per pound of meat, 1 T chili powder, and so
on.

I never use chili powder.  It has ingredients like cumin and oregano. Use
pure chile.  A key ingredient is the liquid.  I never use water.  I never
did like the smell of beef stock so I always used chicken (in my case,
homemade).  Additions:  some Worcestershire sauce added when browning the
meat makes a huge difference which you may like.  Umami will do a similar
thing.  I would brine the meat (chuck roast preferred - pieces the size of
a small pecan) for a couple of days.  I can't find any difference between
adding hot stuff to the pot versus to the bowl of finished chili, so I
never put any in the pot, having a wife who is supersensitive to heat.
Green peppers are traditional but I use the ripe ones.  Idea:  don't saute
the vegetables - you are going to cook them a couple of hours at least in
the pot.  Or saute' some and not others the way Prudhomme would suggest, to
get some variation in texture - a little crunch of onions for ex.

Enjoy!    bill w