[ExI] ChatGPT wrote this for Storm, a black dog who went into the sea

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Dec 6 14:54:59 UTC 2022

Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat wrote:
> Storm is my daughter's dog.
>
> Instructions:
>
> Please write four verses of a limerick, beginning with "There once was a
doggy called Storm."

Well, OK.

There once was a doggy called Storm
Who lived in the senior girl's dorm
She developed the rabies
And devoured their babies;
That wretched beast hopes to reform.

OK well that's a bit grim perhaps, but I have an excuse: it wasn't written
by a chatbot, it was written by a biobot (me.)  What happens when chatbots
get better at this sorta thing than we are, then we have humans-only
tournaments analogous to modern chess?

The exercise reminded me something about limericks: accent matters.  Good
limericks have a rhythm in addition to a kind of weird or humorous twist.
Check out the structure and rhythm of the example, never mind for now the
actual... uh... intellectual content or lack thereof.  Note where the
accents fall, on syllables 2, 5 and 8 in the first two lines, syllables 3
and 6 in the short lines.

Regarding surprising or humorous content: every other lyric (written by
normal people) will have Storm as a sympathetic character doing normal
things such as playing at the beach rather than a diseased child-devouring
monster who is apparently and inexplicably still allowed to reside with the
college women even after having perpetrated violence upon the offspring.

I also noted that this first verse causes further poetry about that
particular Storm most difficult.  I can rhyme about her visiting the vet and
being cured and so forth, then going on to romp at the beach and so forth,
but... perhaps it is best to go ahead and abandon that particular pet after
one dark verse.

Limericks are cool: they are intentionally goofy, which is the genre in
which I am most comfortable.