[ExI] AI harming humanity

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Mon Dec 12 00:31:33 UTC 2022

On Sunday, December 11th, 2022 at 11:04 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> > ...I think we need to get smart phones out of the classroom, even though parents want to be able to hear from their children in the event of a mass shooting--an exceedingly rare occurrence...
>
> On the contrary Dave. In about the past 10 years, cell phones in the classroom have become universal. This has caused teachers to become so well-behaved. Knowing that a single even short rant on anything political, regardless of what, could land them on a FaceBook page, which would quickly be promoted to Twitter, which then goes to a lede story on FoxNews or CNN, followed the next day by a notice of suspension with pay pending an internal review (with a handwritten sticky note suggesting getting the old resume brushed up.)

So you think that policing the expression of political beliefs should be done by students. I think that's far less of a problem than basically every student being distracted all the time in every class. School was bad enough in my day when passing paper notes was one of the major distractions. With phones, students can be chatting with anyone, any time. Or playing games, or ...

-Dave