[ExI] 2/2/22

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 02:04:00 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 1:34 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Evolutionary psychology explains why we humans love patterns.  It explains
> why we love chess and poker and other pattern recognition games.  Hell we
> even made intelligence tests which were really all about pattern
> recognition, gotta scoot, pls Mike your thoughts?

EP certainly is a useful framework for asserting cause&effect.  I suspect
pattern recognition is connected with an energy efficiency equation:
braining is expensive, so after the initial cost (gather observations,
explore/test hypothesis) the pattern is leveraged/exploited to save future
energy expenditure.

Is intelligence the boundary between further expenditure exploring options
for better "best fit" pattern (or principle) and using good enough pattern
for quicker breakeven to ROI?