[ExI] i predict chaos

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:24:59 UTC 2022

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 22:47, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Many of our direct ancestors could heat an iron bar, hammer it into a horseshoe.  Now that skill is extremely rare because it is irrelevant.
>
> We have entered a world in which many skills people our age took for granted are now irrelevant and rare.
>
> spike

Perhaps not that particular example.
On UK television, programs about nature, farming and the countryside
are popular. Just last weekend one program included an episode about
trainees at an agricultural college who were training to be farriers.
It seems that there are so many horses in the UK now that there is a
shortage of farriers and they get paid very well indeed.
I do agree about mechanical skills being lost. Even there though,
there is the Right to Repair legislation going through. I have read
that especially farmers are angry that they cannot repair their
tractors themselves and have to wait for the dealer to repair them.

BillK