[ExI] i predict chaos

Dave S sparge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:24:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 5:47 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *kristina nelason via extropy-chat
>

> >…that's true the specialization made people foolish…
>

> On the contrary Kristina, it is made people more specialized, which
> appears foolish to those who recognize missing skillsets.
>

> Many of our direct ancestors could heat an iron bar, hammer it into a
> horseshoe.  Now that skill is extremely rare because it is irrelevant.
>

> We have entered a world in which many skills people our age took for
> granted are now irrelevant and rare.

When you don't have the foggiest notion of how to turn an iron bar into a
horseshoe, you're not just avoiding an irrelevant skill, you're ignorant.
You don't have to be a master farrier to have rudimentary blacksmithing
skills.

Heinlein's famous specialization quote isn't really arguing that people
should be experts at everything and that there's no need for working
experts in many fields.

-Dave