[ExI] Interstellar Travel is really hard

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 22:34:16 UTC 2022

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:15, spike jones via extropy-chat

> BillK, it is all about nanotech.  If we can figure out how to create a
> replicating assembler, we can use standard propulsion technology that we
> have had for most of a century, go ahead and take a thousand years to get to
> the nearest star, or ten thousand (keeping in mind we hafta somehow slow
> back down when we arrive) then if we find stuff there we nanotech ourselves
> back up to meter scale if we wish.
>
> The missing tech is how to get ourselves, or the part we care about, down to
> the micrometer scale, and verify that our sentience is not substrate
> dependent (I think consciousness is substrate independent, but I can't say I
> know that for certain.)
>
> spike

If we can achieve the nanotech capability that you describe........
well, that gives us God-like power to do almost anything!
So, I doubt whether that will be possible.
If it is possible, then reconstructing ourselves and our Solar System
will probably be first on the list.
Interstellar travel will be way down the to-do list, if ever.
Going nano may be too much fun.  :)

BillK