[ExI] Tesla autopilot

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:43:34 UTC 2022

On Jan 18, 2022, at 6:02 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> BillK, it's a critical question: does the car have a steering wheel or does
> it not?  In the USA, it is aaaaalll about liability.  If the car has a
> steering wheel and the autopilot screws up, the driver is liable.  If no
> steering wheel, the company is at fault.
>
> I have half a mind to wait until the no-steering-wheel car is available,
> drive my own damn self until then.

I thought — and I confess I might not be as apprised of this issue as others here — that the legal liability issues haven’t been settled. I thought the feds were still gathering data, lawsuits are still in progress, and various states (in the US) have started to write some laws on this but it’s not anywhere given to a simple rule as you put it above.

Regards,

Dan