[ExI] enough time has passed...

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:17:44 UTC 2022

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 at 08:57, Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <

> Unfortunately, nightmares are psychological, so it will be over when the
> collective fear wanes.  Idk whether it will happen suddenly but I imagine
> it will take around another ear to peter out.  Hopefully not two.
>
> I also worry about covid mandate type stuff sticking even after the virus
> isn't a threat, just because of the way bureaucracy works.  Some of the
> mandates have set timespans, but for others, the local or federal
> legislatures will have to explicitly turn them off.  For example in Philly
> now you can't eat (or do a lot of other stuff) inside without a vax card.
> I don't have one.  Even after the virus is gone, who's to say they won't
> keep the rule around because of laziness? (Hopefully not something more
> malicious, but I think usually it's just laziness.)
>
> So that kinda stuff freaks me out.  I'm fairly sure we will be seeing the
> long term effects of this for years, not just psychologically, financially,
> and societally, but also in terms of actual law/enforcement.

What freaks me out is seeing humans self-harming due to stupidity on a
previously unimaginable scale. What will happen when, inevitably, a
pandemic comes that kills more than 1% of the population?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 2:47 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <