[ExI] enough time has passed...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jan 22 22:25:30 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] enough time has passed...

>…Unfortunately, nightmares are psychological, so it will be over when the collective fear wanes.  Idk whether it will happen suddenly but I imagine it will take around another ear to peter out.  Hopefully not two…

Will, I too think about that question, and realize the answer is subtle, for there is a spectrum of belief with regard to covid and the effectiveness of the countermeasures we have collectively taken.  I took the Fauci ouchie, twice, both J&J, spaced 9 months apart.  I oppose now and have always opposed any form of mandate on that.

We had mask mandates and various other governor’s orders, but I have always ignored those, for none of them ever made it into law and none were ever enforced as far as I know.

I have a neighbor over the fence who…

I interrupt that comment with a question for our psychologists and psychiatrists among us: it is possible for agoraphobia to be induced by outside circumstances, or does it build from within, perhaps abetted by circumstances?  I ask for a reason.

… apparently developed a form of agoraphobia as a result of the lockdowns.  A little over two years ago, she and I were discussing the newly-announced disease.  She was already wearing a mask at that time.  I never wore one outdoors.  She has not been seen outdoors since that day, two years ago.  I know she is alive, because I can see her silhouette against the shade of the window facing my house.  I have spoken to her on the phone exactly once, but didn’t discuss her going outdoors.  Now I hafta wonder if she developed agoraphobia as a result of lockdown orders, which she interpreted as governor’s orders to stay indoors.  I assured her that a governor’s order is his opinion on matters, not law, not some kind of order I am legally obligated to follow, for I do not work for the governor.  She didn’t get it.  Still doesn’t.  Far too many Americans, even ones with foreign roots, do not fully understand the distinction between the executive, the legislative and the judicial branches of government.

There is a spectrum of belief and fear about covid.  Some of us recognize it is over.  Some may take a year or two, some may never get over it.

>…So that kinda stuff freaks me out.  I'm fairly sure we will be seeing the long term effects of this for years, not just psychologically, financially, and societally, but also in terms of actual law/enforcement…

Me too Will.  I am far more freaked out by how the US government reacted to covid than by covid.  It looks to me like they struggled to not let a perfectly good crisis go to waste.