[ExI] enough time has passed...

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 00:52:01 UTC 2022

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 at 11:38, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
>
> No Stathis, we will cheerfully take whatever measures which might possibly
> save us.  We will ignore what our government says however.  Two very
> different things.  This has been amply demonstrated.  Note they are not
> necessarily oppose, just different.
>
> >…But you’re all gonna die if it is required that at least a certain
> proportion of the population take the measures, and this proportion is
> larger than those who would do it voluntarily.
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> No Stathis, it really doesn’t work that way.  Nothing we did stopped the
> virus.  But the virus doesn’t kill everyone.  We were told things like
> “…you’re all gonna die if you don’t…” this or that, but that kind of
> overblown rhetoric permanently damaged the credibility of those spouting
> such nonsense.  Most of us knew someone who caught and recovered.  I am
> one: I caught alpha very early in pandemic, and I do freely admit it kicked
> my ass bigtime.  But after I came home from a hospital stay (still not
> knowing what that was) my bride and son both caught it, presumably from
> me.  My bride experienced a moderate flu.  For my son a very mild illness
> that caused one day off school and even that was a coin-toss.  It was only
> after we all three recovered that we heard anything about this new covid
> disease out of China.
>

> As you recall, it was in about March 2020 that I and others posted that
> this looked like something that might have escaped from a research lab in
> China (I caught it from a medical worker who had just returned from
> China.)  It was ridiculed as an absurd theory, which later turned out to be
> a likely explanation.  This further damaged the credibility of those who
> did the “fact checking” in the spring of 2020, such as Face Book and
> Twitter.  Now our trust in those organizations is very low, and may take
> years to recover, if ever.
>

> This we can say: if we are told things like “…you’re all gonna die if you
> don’t do {x}” that is a quick way to turn the public against {x}.  We
> didn’t trust that before and we trust that even less now.

> following the science fiction.

You’re avoiding the point. IF there is some measure which will save you if
widely implemented enough, you won’t be able to implement it if a large
enough proportion of the population won’t do it voluntarily. It’s a deficit
in the system, if indeed that is your system. You seem to think it isn’t a
problem, or indeed that it is a desirable feature. So all you can do is
hope for the best.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou