[ExI] Why Tesla Can Program Its Cars to Break Road Safety Laws

Dave S sparge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:04:31 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:55 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 15:29, Dave S via extropy-chat
> >

> https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/01/12/why-tesla-can-program-its-cars-to-break-road-safety-laws
>
> Well, I don't know what USA drivers are like, but in the UK if you
> drive within the speed limits you will rapidly get a queue of cars
> tail-gating you and trying to kill themselves by desperate overtaking.
> The only time keeping to the speed limit is expected is when slowing
> down for speed cameras or in a queue behind a police patrol car full
> of laughing policemen.

Yeah, it's the same here. The article made no mention of speed limits,
which presumably were already being exceeded. These are the problematic
behaviors:

*The rollout went largely unnoticed by street safety advocates until a Jan.
9 article in The Verge, when journalist Emma Roth revealed that putting a
Tesla in “assertive” mode will effectively direct the car to tailgate other
motorists, perform unsafe passing maneuvers, and roll through certain stops
(“average” mode isn’t much safer). All those behaviors are illegal in most
U.S. states, and experts say there’s no reason why Tesla shouldn’t be
required to program its vehicles to follow the local rules of the road,
even when drivers travel between jurisdictions with varying safety
standards.*
-Dave