[ExI] long-term health effects: was: RE: knees and math: was RE: How Infinite Series Reveal the Unity of Mathematics

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:04:00 UTC 2022

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 09:19, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *…*
>
> >…There are plenty of examples of viruses causing long term effects, up to
> decades later, but no convincing examples of vaccines doing the same. A
> vaccine is essentially a small part of the virus it is protecting against,
> so if you are worried about the vaccine, you should be more worried about
> the virus. The difference is that people can blame the doctor, the drug
> company, the government or even themselves for actively doing something
> that causes an adverse reaction, while putting down infection with the
> virus to bad luck… Stathis
>

> No doubt, however I already caught and recovered from alpha before either
> vaccination, so natural immunity probably would have been sufficient.  In
> retrospect, I cannot justify getting either vaccine, but what is past is
> past.  We didn’t know anything at the time about the possible long-term
> effects and it wasn’t clear in October that the immunity is short-lived.
> Now there is emerging indications (from Israel) that getting the current
> vaccines protect against alpha and delta but may increase one’s
> susceptibility to the apparently far less lethal omicron, which may also
> have long-term health consequences.
>

> In retrospect, I am very surprised the medical community did not issue a
> guideline or suggestion if you have already had covid, don’t take the
> vaccine.  It was clear by summer of 2020 that catching twice is unlikely.
> An excellent point made earlier is that we should have people in every
> group so we get some good data: those who didn’t catch and didn’t take,
> those who caught and took anyway (me) those who caught and didn’t take,
> those who didn’t catch and did take.  Then we get four datasets.

You were much more likely to have had some other respiratory virus if you
had symptoms but no test very early in 2020, which I think is when you said
you might have had COVID. In any case, natural immunity does not last, and
it is still recommended that you be vaccinated. It is likely that there
will be more variants like omicron arising which evade immunity from
previous variants or vaccines, and a system will probably develop, as with
the flu vaccine, whereby regular new vaccines try to anticipate the most
common new variants. It’s unfortunately not guaranteed that new variants
will be less harmful, and not guaranteed that they won’t evade vaccines,
although so far it looks like a booster shot will at least reduce the risk
of severe illness, if not infection, with omicron.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou