[ExI] Some recent thoughts on minarchism

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:18:34 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 10:03 AM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  we the enlightened citizens, united under the beacon of a clear and well
> defined ideology, such as the rule "The government's *only* proper job is
> to survive", can stand up to the Balrogs and say "Thou shalt not pass!",
> with good effect.
>
> Rafal
> Rafal, judging by the actions of the voters the last several years, just
> what percentage of them would you say is 'enlightened'?  Unlike ancient
> Greece, where most of the population could not vote, we have expanded that
> to nearly everyone.  Everyone is 'equal' in the voting booth.   bill w

### Well, sometimes a well-written slogan helps to enlighten the masses
where a well-thought out but complicated chain of reasoning fails.

"Citizens, let your government survive, but only barely"

Hmm, doesn't roll off the tongue....Will have to work on the slogan part.

But, the reasoning that I outlined seems to me to be quite coherent, even
as I re-examine it from different angles. A society of people ideologically
committed to Schelling point of using the government only to keep the
government out of their lives could work where an an-cap society might fail.

One part of the commitment is that the entry of persons not committed to
this Schelling point would need to be restricted but this is just the usual
kind of action that any society that wishes to maintain a certain order
must perform.

Rafal