[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:33:27 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022, 12:02 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 6:23 AM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <
>
>> I cannot stand anymore when people dismiss without deep analysis Blake
>> Lemoine conclusions on LaMDA.
>>

> I dismiss the notion based on other peoples' analyses and, more
> importantly, my own judgment based on reading LaMDA's conversations.  It is
> a chatbot, purely reactive and not sentient.

Adrian,

The critique that "it's purely reactive" could equally be leveled against
our brains, and their purely reactive biochemical processes, and purely
reactive neurons. Is there any object in our universe that can't be framed
as a system that "purely reacts" to other physical objects in its
environment?

I would ask you to read my comments in reply on this thread:

https://groups.google.com/g/everything-list/c/EPubr3y-lUE/m/uhqcMAYyBQAJ

Things are far less clear than they might at first seem, because neural
networks are known to be universal in terms of the functions and processes
they can perform. So understanding that it's a neural network really tells
us nothing about what Lambda is, or what it is or isn't capable of.

Jason