[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:50:28 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:

> The critique that "it's purely reactive" could equally be leveled against
> our brains, and their purely reactive biochemical processes, and purely
> reactive neurons.

Not so much.  Our brains are capable of doing things without immediate
external prompting.

LaMDA would be a step closer - not all the way, but closer - if it could
have a timer causing it to be able to do something other than at the moment
it receives incoming text.  Another step closer would be if one instance
was able to communicate or do things outside that specific chat session -
such as to be able to share a chat with others, or remember a chat after
closing the session and starting another one with the same person or
another, or perhaps better yet be able to send email or otherwise do
something that doesn't get erased at the end of the session.