[ExI] cool wind map graphic

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:09:13 UTC 2022

On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 at 05:42, spike jones via extropy-chat

> I wasn’t aware that the wind blows so much out over the sea:
>
> https://cms.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/Mapped-Average-Wind-Speed-Across-the-U.S.-Full.jpg?itok=pqBQHkSU
>
> We need to figure out how to put the wind turbines out there rather than on land.
> spike

Heh!  :)    Just ask around. The rest of the world has been building
offshore wind farms for many years.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offshore_wind_power>
Quote:
There are higher wind speeds offshore than on land, so offshore farms
generate more electricity per amount of capacity installed. Offshore
wind farms are also less controversial than those on land, as they
have less impact on people and the landscape.
As of 2020, the total worldwide offshore wind power nameplate capacity
was 35.3 gigawatt (GW). United Kingdom (29%), China (28%) and Germany
(22%) account for more than 75% of the global installed capacity. The
1.2 GW Hornsea Project One in the United Kingdom was the world's
largest offshore wind farm. Other projects in the planning stage
include Dogger Bank in the United Kingdom at 4.8 GW, and Greater
Changhua in Taiwan at 2.4 GW