[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 21:07:07 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 1:34 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> OK, let me ask you this.  Are you interested in finding out the colorness
> qualities of anything in physics?

Physics, or biophysics?  If colorness is a quality of perception, then it
isn't just about physics divorced from the biology of the observer.

> And of course, again, once we discover which of all our descriptions of
> physics in the brain is a description of redness, (it will falsify all the
> crap in the gap theories like substance dualism and functionalism) and
> result in a clear scientific consensus about not only what
> consciousness is, but an understanding of what consciousness is like.
> Along with that will be a near unanimous consensus that abstract systems,
> like the one on the right in the image, would not be considered to be
> conscious by anyone, with any reasonable intelligence.

That you are driving toward that conclusion tells me that you are probably
incorrect.  It seems quite possible that such an abstract system could be
conscious in every meaningful way.