[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 05:10:23 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 9:39 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 at 13:15, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <
>
>> Those are falsifiable claims.  And this is how they will be falsified, I
>> predict.
>>
>> 10 years from now.  (5, if we got 10,000 signatories on the RQT
>> <https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia>
>> camp this year, or one of its sub camps, even the crap in the gap ones like
>> functionalism or substance dualism, which seperate redness from physical
>> reality), then someone like Elon Musk finally gets the message (because of
>> all the signatures) and finally realizes how to observe the brain in a non
>> qualia blind way, and using the tools of neuralink, hacking the brain,
>> demonstrate that NOBODY can experience redness without glutamate.
>>

> How could this ever be demonstrated? In future, there might be some new
> technology that replaces glutamate, or even if there isn’t, it is
> conceivable that there might be. All it takes to disprove “nobody can
> experience redness without glutamate” as a philosophical proposition is the
> logical possibility.

And this is how I predict Stathis, along with all other functionalists,
will be convinced.  Part of the discovery of what redness is, will include
how redness can be computationally bound into one unified
composite conscious experience made of patches of both redness and
greenness (and how this kind of computation is very substrate dependent),
running directly on those physical qualities, which we will be able to
directly apprehend.  And it will be completely obvious, that this is a
completely different computational paradigm, than the discrete logic gates,
used today, on which the functionalists' so called substitution argument
depends.  And I predict that this method of computational binding will be
far more efficient at vastly parallel computational binding than today's
discrete logic CPUs.  And this will revolutionize the way AI is built.  to
say nothing of integration of this kind of AI with brains, while discrete
logic can't be integrated with consciousness.

AND, part of it will be functionalists, with this new understanding of how
computational binding is achieved, will, like the physicists trying to
verify Orch OR
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/20-Orch-OR>, will
make many attempts to try to create a redness experience in some kind of
"substrate independent way".  Alas, this will be demonstrated to be
impossible in a much more compelling way than the Orc OR theories were
falsified
<https://phys.org/news/2022-06-collapsing-theory-quantum-consciousness.html>.
And these demonstrations will also put the nail in all other theories,
including any remaining Orch OR holdouts, still hoping Orch OR hasn't yet
been fully falsified.

In other words, nobody will ever be able to computationally bind an
experience of redness into consciousness, without glutamate (or whatever it
is that has a redness quality), and the understanding of how all this
computational binding works will make this completely obvious to anyone who
understand the difference between this method of computational directly
(and dependent) on physical qualities and discrete logic gates that
compute, abstractly.