[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 21:45:24 UTC 2022

There must be something I'm not yet understanding of what you are saying.
But let's focus on this, for now.

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 10:52 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

>  My claim, to be clear, is not that consciousness is
> non-substrate-dependent, but that the evidence is consistent with
> consciousness being non-substrate-dependent.

Perhaps we are talking about different things.  It is true, that the
function of telling someone something is red can be achieved in a substrate
independent way (if you have dictionaries), as illustrated in the image:
[image: 3_functionally_equal_machines_tiny.png]

This seems to be what you are talking about.  I am talking about something
different.

I am talking about the qualities of your knowledge.  The quality of your
redness, and your greenness, is what your conscious knowledge is like.  The
quality of your conscious knowledge is  dependent on those particular
qualities.  If you engineered them to use a different substrate, as is the
case in the second system in the image, it would be qualitatively
different.  So, which one you are, is dependent on the particular qualities
being used.  if you are the second one (or the third one) you are not like
the first one.

As I pointed out to Stathis, this cannot be denied, so you must be talking
about something different than what I'm talking about, when you say "the
evidence is consistent with consciousness being non-substrate-dependent"