[ExI] Google engineer claims AI is sentient

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Jun 13 07:54:48 UTC 2022

On 12/06/2022 21:33, Darin Sunley wrote:
> Human beings are hard-wired to attribute agency to anything with
> sufficiently complex and environmentally-contextual behavior.

> This is why pagan gods are a thing

'Pagan' gods? That qualification basically rules out any gods the reader
happens to believe in, making the whole sentence meaningless (and
perpetuating religious arguments: "your belief in /your/ gods are
explainable by evolution. Mine are still real, though"). I'd say the
agency-attribution tendency explains religion in general. If we didn't
have it (and managed to survive), religion wouldn't be a thing, and gods
would never have been conceived of at all.

Ben