[ExI] genetics

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:40:14 UTC 2022

On Mar 2, 2022, at 6:42 AM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Pigs are rated very high in IQ.  I took a pig brain out in grad school and it resembled a smaller human brain with lots of convolutions.  They also, like cats, are difficult to train.  I'd like to know if a video version of PHotoshop was used to make that commercial where a cat fetches a stick from a lake, digs a guy out of the snow, and so on.  If not, there must have been a lot of training, esp. overcoming the cat's fear of water.  I did read a story by a researcher who trained a dog.  It was watched by a cat, who proceeded to do what the dog learned.  Observational learning:  said to be 'monkey see, monkey do', but in fact monkeys do not learn well this way.  So when the cat did, it was news.   bill w

My experience is that not all house cats are averse to being in water, so the cat in question might not have needed to be trained out of an abrasion it didn’t have. The same with regard to snow. (I take it an aversion to snow is probably because the cat hasn’t been around snow before. I’ve seen plenty cats in snow. Heck, strays and ferals wouldn’t have much of a choice in areas where it does snow.)

Regards,

Dan