[ExI] lipoprotein(a)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:53:11 UTC 2022

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 00:38, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> Anyone have any experience with this?  I have not been tested.  Apparently you have to ask.  Here's the article from People's Pharmacy:
>
> https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/is-lpa-the-best-kept-secret-in-heart-disease?  bill w

The UK is researching this for treatments.
<https://www.heartuk.org.uk/genetic-conditions/high-lipoproteina>

Quotes:
Because Lp (a) levels are genetically determined, they do not change
throughout life and are usually unaffected by diet, lifestyle or
environment.  Once a Lp (a) level has been measured it does not
usually need to be checked again.  However it is important to continue
to monitor and be aware of other modifiable cardiovascular risk
factors.
------
Currently there are new treatments in clinical trials which stop Lp
(a) being made at genetic level. There are two treatments - one is
known as an antisense "oligonucleotide" therapy and the other is known
as small interfering or siRNA  (gene silencing) treatment.  Both
treatments prevent the transcription of Lp (a) RNA into the Apo (a)
protein and reduce Lp (a) production.